Mac68k Forums

Home

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Mac68k Forums » Development » Hardware Hacking

Thread: PCI ATi flashing.

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Jan 29, 2014 3:56 PM Last Post By: Solvalou
Solvalou

PCI ATi flashing.
Posted: Jan 18, 2014 2:24 AM
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi all. I'm new here and it's fair to say I am a real fan of the old beige boxes (especially 68k's).
That said, i'm currently working on my Sonnet G4 powerd 7600 PowerMac. So far things are pretty good with 2 SCSI hard drives, a G4 (Obv.), ATi Rage 128, SCSI card and a USB cardbus. However, I recently purchased an ATi 9200LE card that was apparently a Mac edition, only to receive it over the pond in nothing more than a jiffy bag (no static protection at all). So great, either it got static damage, it could just be a standard PeeCee card or it was dead from the get-go (judging by feedback he received shortly after I paid i'd say the latter is likely too).

I have looked into the possibility of flashing an ATi Radeon 7000 card for some time now but I am stuck in a rut with it for 2 reasons. Firstly I don't have the skill or hardware to replace the chip for a 128k varient. Second, it's difficult to attain if anyone on eBay is selling a PC card with the rarer 128K chip on board.

If anyone here can offer some advice on this, I would be massively grateful.

P.s. Apologies if htis is posted in the wrong section.
landonf

Re: PCI ATi flashing.
Posted: Jan 18, 2014 10:43 AM   in response to: Solvalou in response to: Solvalou
Solvalou wrote:
Hi all. I'm new here and it's fair to say I am a real fan of the old beige boxes (especially 68k's).
That said, i'm currently working on my Sonnet G4 powerd 7600 PowerMac. So far things are pretty good with 2 SCSI hard drives, a G4 (Obv.), ATi Rage 128, SCSI card and a USB cardbus. However, I recently purchased an ATi 9200LE card that was apparently a Mac edition, only to receive it over the pond in nothing more than a jiffy bag (no static protection at all). So great, either it got static damage, it could just be a standard PeeCee card or it was dead from the get-go (judging by feedback he received shortly after I paid i'd say the latter is likely too).

I have looked into the possibility of flashing an ATi Radeon 7000 card for some time now but I am stuck in a rut with it for 2 reasons. Firstly I don't have the skill or hardware to replace the chip for a 128k varient. Second, it's difficult to attain if anyone on eBay is selling a PC card with the rarer 128K chip on board.

If anyone here can offer some advice on this, I would be massively grateful.

P.s. Apologies if htis is posted in the wrong section.

Howdy. Replacing the chip is well within the capabilities of what you can do with a standard soldering iron; Rob has written up the basics here http://www.synack.net/~bbraun/ati7k.html, and we'd be happy to offer advice/assistance.

That said, I do actually have a stack of Radeon 7000 64MBs that I replaced the ROM chip on and re-imaged; all tested on my 9600 (I picked up a small lot of new-in-box PC cards on eBay a while back). I sold a fair number of them on eBay, but found that selling anything on eBay is generally way too much effort for someone as lazy as me, so I've held on to the rest.

If you'd like, I'd be happy to sell you 1-2 at parts cost -- $10/ea + shipping (given your reference to a pond, I suppose I'll have to figure out what that +shipping is).
Solvalou

Posted: Jan 19, 2014 2:50 PM   in response to: landonf in response to: landonf
Well the number of solder points doesn't look too bad but it still looks like a hot-air re-work job to my eyes. Perhaps it isn't as bad as it looks!
I'm a nothing short of a chump in comparison to some of the amazing hack projects going on here but I am really glad to see more interest in these old machines and will certainly be lurking around here for ideas myself. It's a shame theres no introduction areas of the forum as alot of my machines do need some form of work doing to them but most of all are the stories attached to them. But I digress...

You say you may have a card going spare for $10 USD? Well I got the dead 9200 from the US for a fairly reasonable sum, I assume you are in the States? If so that sounds like a deal to me! You thought right about my location, I am infact from the UK but as such these cards are like hens teeth around here. Macs didn't sell in quite as big numbers as they did in America, though Mac PCI GFX cards do crop up on the Bay from time to time, I always seem to miss them and often for not much money despite it's scarcity.

If you could help me out with a card, please for the love of god don't just stick it in a static magnet jiffy bag with nothing else like the mindless seller sent me the 9200 (though I doubt you're that daft!).
landonf

Posted: Jan 19, 2014 3:10 PM   in response to: Solvalou in response to: Solvalou
Solvalou wrote:
Well the number of solder points doesn't look too bad but it still looks like a hot-air re-work job to my eyes. Perhaps it isn't as bad as it looks!

I gave hot air a try on a similar PCI card a while back, but found that I was actually able to get better results, quickly, with lots of flux and plain-old drag soldering.

You say you may have a card going spare for $10 USD?

I've got a few. The price on the lot was good enough that I just bought a bunch and ran a quick assembly line on all of them.

Well I got the dead 9200 from the US for a fairly reasonable sum, I assume you are in the States?

Yep.

If you could help me out with a card, please for the love of god don't just stick it in a static magnet jiffy bag with nothing else like the mindless seller sent me the 9200 (though I doubt you're that daft!).

The cards all came new in box, so I just put them right back into their original packaging (including anti-static bag).
Solvalou

Posted: Jan 21, 2014 6:34 AM   in response to: landonf in response to: landonf
Wow that sounds great, i'l give you a PM then, hopefully we can sort something out.

Can't thank you enough!
Solvalou

Posted: Jan 29, 2014 3:56 PM   in response to: Solvalou in response to: Solvalou
Just letting you know I sent you a PM some time ago. Still up for one of your cards if you still have one spare. Thanks again.

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums