Mac68k Forums

Home

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Mac68k Forums » Development » Software Hacking

Thread: Evolution of Mac OS X

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Aug 28, 2014 10:08 PM Last Post By: bbraun
bbraun

Evolution of Mac OS X
Posted: May 12, 2014 7:38 PM
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment poster.jpg (1.4 MB)
Attachment poster3.jpg (1.0 MB)
Attachment osx.tiff (27.0 MB)
I've put together a poster of osx screenshots+about this mac screens from DP1 through 10.9, and had the poster printed.
I'm attaching a picture of the poster, and a downscaled version of the image file in jpg, since the original compressed TIFF is ~30mb. If anyone is interested in printing their own, let me know and I can send you the original.

I was thinking about going NeXTStep, OpenStep, and Rhapsody, but there's only so much that can fit on a 24"x36" poster. Perhaps a "Mac OS X: The Early Years" is in order.

Not really software or 68k, but some might find it amusing anyway.

Attached the .tiff as "osx.tiff"
techknight

Re: Evolution of Mac OS X
Posted: May 27, 2014 8:36 PM   in response to: bbraun in response to: bbraun
I actually think its neat. I remember when 10.0 came out, started using it on the G3. But nothing really worked well with it, and it wasnt until 10.2 before I really got into OSX and things started working nicely.

I still have my legit copy of 10.2, Back in the early 2000s Apple offered an educational complementary copy of Jaguar. Basically, if you were a school or teacher, or any faculty in a school system you could get a free copy of Jaguar. Thats what I did. one of my teachers got it for me.

Message was edited by: techknight
tt

Posted: Aug 6, 2014 2:12 AM   in response to: bbraun in response to: bbraun
Interesting, I didn't know the earliest interface was similar (looking) to OS 8. I have only used 10.5 (started) -10.6 (current system). I kind of wish it was easy to switch to the old Platinum interface.
landonf

Posted: Aug 23, 2014 2:54 PM   in response to: bbraun in response to: bbraun
I'd be interested in the .tiff; where'd you get the poster printed?

Also, feel free to attach it here, if you like. I just bumped up the max attachment size to accommodate.
bbraun

Posted: Aug 23, 2014 3:07 PM   in response to: landonf in response to: landonf
Cool, thanks. I just attached it to the original post.
I just got the poster printed at FedEx/Kinko's, which was ok but not super awesome. I mostly did it for convenience. If I were to do much more of this, I'd probably find a local print shop to work with.
techknight

Posted: Aug 23, 2014 3:58 PM   in response to: tt in response to: tt
I started OSX with 10.2 That was when Apple was giving out Mac OS Jaguar for the education department, bundled with an OS 9.2 CD along with it. one of my teachers got it for me. I actually still have the discs somewhere.
landonf

Posted: Aug 23, 2014 4:31 PM   in response to: techknight in response to: techknight
Attachment finder-icon.png (29.9 K)
10.2/10.3 would have been when bbraun and I were working on the same Core OS team at Apple; I've still got my Panther Development Team shirt.

It's interesting to put 10.10 Yosemite up against all the others. Demonstrates how post-iOS Apple isn't trying to update things quite so incrementally anymore. Not sure that's a good thing.

The new Finder icon seems strangely proportioned, but it otherwise reminds me a lot of Apple's pre-OS X visual style.

bbraun

Posted: Aug 23, 2014 4:43 PM   in response to: landonf in response to: landonf
Yeah, the new Finder icon is square instead of the rectangular proportions the old one was. Which I find a little amusing, since everything is all widescreen, you'd think rectangular would be the new hawtness.

Anyway, I intentionally did it pre-10.10 just out of personal preference.

I'm still contemplating doing a pre-DP1 poster, either as a classic MacOS style, or NeXTStep/OpenStep/Rhapsody. Or both.
CC_333

Posted: Aug 26, 2014 2:26 PM   in response to: bbraun in response to: bbraun
This is my first post here!

The first Mac OS X I ever used was 10.1.4 back in 2001-2005, when it was new-ish. However, I mostly stuck with 9.x.x (partly out of preference, but mostly because none of the hardware I had at the time was very adequate for Mac OS X to run well). Then I used PCs for awhile (because they were cheaper, and we needed something faster than a G3).

Then I just took a big leap to 10.4.7 with our first Mac Mini, which was also the first Intel Mac we'd ever bought.

After that, I've sought out all the other versions in between (10.2, 10.3) and played around with them (never used them when they were current, though). And I've recently explored DP2 and DP3.

Oddly, I've never used 10.0. I will eventually, though....

Idea: how about doing a classic Mac OS poster? You could consolidate a bit, rather than having each distinct version (since many versions from a given generation (1.x to 6.0.x, 7.0.x to 7.6.x, 8.0-8.6, and 9.0.x-9.2.2) tended to look virtually identical from a user's perspective, in my opinion).

c

Message was edited by: CC_333
bbraun

Posted: Aug 28, 2014 10:08 PM   in response to: bbraun in response to: bbraun
Attachment 90sposter.png (820.1 K)
I've been on a bit of an old unix system kick lately, so I made this:

It's a bit unfortunate about the different systems being at different resolutions, but really didn't want to scale them.

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums