Mac68k Forums

Home

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Mac68k Forums » Help » Software Help

Thread: Retro68

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 1 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Feb 27, 2015 12:17 PM Last Post By: bbraun
Arbee

Retro68
Posted: Feb 26, 2015 10:04 PM
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Don't remember if this was brought up here before or not, but:

https://github.com/autc04/Retro68

It's GCC 4.9.1 + binutils, modified to target 68k and classic MacOS from OS X or Linux. It includes a resource compiler and other tools so you can write System 6 apps in C++11 (and more importantly, gain the speed of compiling on a modern system instead of a real or emulated 680x0 Mac).

Setup is kinda rough, but it does work if you follow the instructions.
bbraun

Re: Retro68
Posted: Feb 27, 2015 12:17 PM   in response to: Arbee in response to: Arbee
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Yeah, I eventually got that setup and working, although it took multiple tries on OSX for me. I played around with it a bit, but I'm still a bit wary of the somewhat convoluted process of assembling the resulting app, mainly because I haven't fully wrapped my head around it yet.

I've been messing with mpw a bit as another way to do classic mac development on modern systems. It doesn't have the modern features and native compilation speed advantages of retro68, but I also have a little more confidence and familiarity in it running the original MPW tools in emulation.

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums