Mac68k Forums

Home

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Mac68k Forums » Development » Hardware Hacking

Thread: 64-pin SIMM outline drawing?

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Mar 14, 2018 6:37 PM Last Post By: Popjoel
fraveydank

64-pin SIMM outline drawing?
Posted: Aug 1, 2016 3:19 PM
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Does anyone know off-hand where the mechanical parameters for the 64-pin SIMMs are to be found? I haven't found in the usual suspects (Designing Cards and Whatevers for the Macintosh Family 2nd or 3rd ed), but I wanted to make a logic analyzer adaptor for the ROM SIMM since it's useful for debugging boot problems. There's mention of getting the drawing by sending off to Apple DTS, but something tells me they won't be too able to furnish me the info at this point. :-)

For my IIci, I might start with a cache card adaptor, since I have a pile of DIN41612 connectors and protoboards sitting around and might even have the 120 pin variant.

Is anyone interested in such a thing (either one)? It'd most likely connect to Mictor 38 connectors for HP logic analyzers, since I've got one with a few of those.
bbraun

Re: 64-pin SIMM outline drawing?
Posted: Aug 5, 2016 11:01 AM   in response to: fraveydank in response to: fraveydank
Yeah, I suspect you'll have better luck looking at the processor bus than the ROM SIMM slot, since the ROM is usually hidden behind the memory controller. I guess both are useful for different kinds of things, but it seems like starting with the PDS slot (or Cache slot in the case of the IIci) would be more generally useful.
fraveydank

Posted: Aug 5, 2016 11:04 AM   in response to: bbraun in response to: bbraun
That's fair, perhaps I'm focusing too much on the problem with the IIci I'm looking at right now which had a few acid-corroded traces on the ROM address/data lines I've had to patch up with kynar wire. The cache slot would indeed give me a PDS-level view, but it's very IIci specific.

It would still be nice to get a mechanical outline of the 64-pin SIMM without having to extract it from dougg3's Eagle/Gerber files. Anyone know a definitive reference?
Trash80toHP_Mini

Posted: Nov 25, 2016 1:38 PM   in response to: fraveydank in response to: fraveydank
Working through your IIci's Cache Slot sounds like it might be the most flexible approach by far to me. I'm guessing that you could likely use your IIci Cache Slot analyzer adapter in the appropriate PowerCache adapter to probe into the logic of a plethora of Macintosh models.
Popjoel

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 6:37 PM   in response to: bbraun in response to: bbraun
Dear BBraun
I am very interested in the ADB connectors to db9 and rj11 for my Mac Plus.
I need help from you because I can not find anything in my country.
Thanks in advance.
Joel.

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums