Mac68k Forums

Home

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Mac68k Forums » Development » Software Hacking

Thread: adev/atlk information

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 2 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Apr 24, 2019 10:34 AM Last Post By: cheesestraws Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
cheesestraws

adev/atlk information
Posted: Apr 23, 2019 12:56 PM
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
As a network nerd, I'm kind of interested in learning to write atlk/adev devices, but I can't find much information on how to do so aside from the source code for bbraun's Appletalk VPN and the name of a fabled document entitled "Macintosh AppleTalk Connections Programmer's Guide", which I have not been able to track down anywhere except as a part number.

The Appletalk VPN code has been extremely useful in getting an overall understanding of how this works, and I'm thinking I'm ready to start hacking, but I'm not sure what terms the VPN source code is provided under: is it OK to use this as a starting point/basis? Obviously, in the vanishingly unlikely event of me producing anything worthy of use by other people, relevant credit would be given...
bbraun

Re: adev/atlk information
Posted: Apr 23, 2019 10:50 PM   in response to: cheesestraws in response to: cheesestraws
Yeah, I heard about that mythical document too when I was trying to write the adev, but was never able to track down a copy. I ended up spending many hours in macsbug and using minivmac's FDisasm for disassembling things.

Feel free to use it as a starting point. Consider it under the 3 clause BSD license.
cheesestraws

Re: adev/atlk information
Posted: Apr 24, 2019 10:34 AM   in response to: bbraun in response to: bbraun
Thankyou very much! I will of course post on here if I manage to actually do anything useful or interesting.

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums