Mac68k Forums

Home

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Mac68k Forums » Development » Hardware Hacking

Thread: ATI Radeon 7000 ROM replacement + flashing

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Apr 13, 2013 2:05 PM Last Post By: landonf
landonf

ATI Radeon 7000 ROM replacement + flashing
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 12:25 AM
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment r7000.jpg (2.5 MB)
Following in bbraun's footsteps, I went ahead and ordered a 64MB Sapphire Radeon 7000, and then replaced the ROM as per:
http://www.synack.net/~bbraun/ati7k.html

It was also a good excuse to get some hot air soldering practice. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.

I didn't have a PC available, so I used the Macintosh-based firmware updater. For that to work, I had to install Mac OS 9.1 (neither 9.0 or 7.6 would cut it). Digikey was out of the M25P10-AV, so I picked up an the pin-compatible W25X20CLSNIG.

Once the ROM was updated, the card works like a charm.
bbraun

Re: ATI Radeon 7000 ROM replacement + flashing
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 12:37 AM   in response to: landonf in response to: landonf
Cool! I'm glad that page was useful to someone. I find it pretty handy to have a 1920x1200 System7 machine around for running CodeWarrior and the like.
landonf

Posted: Apr 5, 2013 5:21 PM   in response to: landonf in response to: landonf
Attachment IMG_0794.jpg (1.6 MB)
I wanted to take my 9600s dual-head, and I managed to pick up a batch of 5 Radeon 7000s on eBay for $29 (total). They're a slightly different card from 'Hightech Information Systems' , but use the same 8-SOIC flash. I figure I'll swap out the flash chip, reflash them and see how it goes. Assuming this works, I'll have a couple extra.

landonf

Posted: Apr 5, 2013 8:36 PM   in response to: landonf in response to: landonf
It works! 1920x1080!

Interestingly, this card doesn't have the 1x1 monitor bug that the card I saw on the previous card (pictured earlier in the thread) when used under Mac OS 9. In that case, an additional 1x1 monitor shows up in the Monitors control panel, but nothing else seems to be affected. I ought to try booting 7.6 with the new card to see if the problem occurs there.
Bunsen

Posted: Apr 6, 2013 1:34 AM   in response to: landonf in response to: landonf
Assuming this works, I'll have a couple extra.

This am relevant to my interests :)
landonf

Posted: Apr 13, 2013 1:42 PM   in response to: Bunsen in response to: Bunsen
Bunsen wrote:
Assuming this works, I'll have a couple extra.

This am relevant to my interests :)

Well, I just finished soldering, reflashing, and testing all five of them. Another 10 of these HIS PCI cards will be arriving shortly, but for now, I have the following to spare:

• 1x - HIS Radeon 7000 64MB PCI. DVI, VGA, and what appear to be S-Video outputs (tested DVI and VGA, S-Video is untested).
  • 1x - Radeon 7000 64MB PCI (unknown brand). DVI, VGA, and what appears to be component out (red, green, blue cables, but I haven't tested this output).

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums