Mac68k Forums

Home

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Mac68k Forums » Development » Hardware Hacking

Thread: IIci Issue that is over my head

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Sep 30, 2013 9:31 PM Last Post By: techknight
Miguel

IIci Issue that is over my head
Posted: Sep 11, 2013 2:43 AM
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi, hope this is an OK place to post this.

Just got a IIci (mostly for the monitor that came with it). I think it has a power supply issue. It will turn on in so much as the power light comes on, but it does not beep and it does not render anything on the monitor. Sometimes when I try it I hear the hard drive spin a bit but only for a few seconds. Is there anything obvious I should try?

It has an ethernet card, a color monitor card, and some sort of processor booster card.

The power supply is Delta brand.

Mostly I just want to play shufflepuck cafe with sound. Is there some trick to getting 68k games to play sounds under Power Macintosh hardware? If so, I might give up this project.
techknight

Re: IIci Issue that is over my head
Posted: Sep 11, 2013 7:43 PM   in response to: Miguel in response to: Miguel
You need to recap it first, and check for battery acid leakage and trace corrosion.
bbraun

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 6:12 PM   in response to: Miguel in response to: Miguel
Yeah, with IIci era machines, replacing all the capacitors is almost always necessary and pretty much always the first place to start.
After doing that, there's a known failure point on IIci power supplies. I forget exactly what needs to be replaced in them, perhaps dougg3 or someone else that remembers can chime in when you get to that point.
Miguel

Posted: Sep 15, 2013 8:14 PM   in response to: bbraun in response to: bbraun
Going to attempt a recap.
dougg3

Posted: Sep 15, 2013 10:35 PM   in response to: bbraun in response to: bbraun
Completely agreed with both techknight and bbraun about recapping. I've recapped both of my IIcis and they both exhibited difficulty powering on until I replaced the capacitors and cleaned the board with isopropyl alcohol. Here's what I know about the IIci power supply:

There are at least two different brands of power supplies used in the IIci: Astec and GE. The Astec ones are known to be problematic, and apparently the GE ones are a little more reliable. I don't really know for sure. I have two IIcis -- one with an Astec and one with a GE, and they both work fine, although I've run into weird unexplainable behavior in the past with them. While researching the problems I had, I found this:

http://www.shobaffum.com/iici/trickle.pdf

I've never attempted this repair, so I have no idea if it works...

There is a way to sort of "jump start" the IIci power supply to verify that it is working. It doesn't completely work because the power supply doesn't like it when there's no load, but you can at least test to make sure the fan moves. To do this I short pins 9 and 10 (/PFW and +5V trickle) together with a paper clip. The fan will start moving slowly and the power supply tries to turn on, but I believe it doesn't fully turn on and the output voltages won't be correct (it keeps restarting because there's no load, or something like that).

Miguel

Posted: Sep 29, 2013 11:45 PM   in response to: Miguel in response to: Miguel
So I recapped it, and it starts up fine. I think it might have started up sort of before, but I didn't have an old enough monitor. Starting it up with a mac>pc monitor converter got a ghosty image. After the recap it is bright and starts and starts right up.

New problem: Right about when the extensions should start popping up, it shows an insufficient memory warning and asks to restart. Hitting restart then pops up a bus error message. Can't get past this.

My buddy suspects bad ram.

Advice?
bbraun

Posted: Sep 30, 2013 12:42 AM   in response to: Miguel in response to: Miguel
What os are you trying to boot? It could be bad RAM; there is a RAM test that runs on powerup, but it's always possible it's a problem that isn't caught. Do you know how much RAM is in the machine?
techknight

Posted: Sep 30, 2013 9:31 PM   in response to: bbraun in response to: bbraun
Dont rule out software configuration issues too. It could be "crashed" persay, and you might need to startup with extensions disabled and turn off the offending extension.

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums