Mac68k Forums

Home

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Mac68k Forums » Help » Software Help

Thread: Networking with RocketShare

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 2 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Dec 11, 2013 3:27 PM Last Post By: bbraun Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
bbraun

Networking with RocketShare
Posted: Oct 25, 2012 10:24 PM
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I had the brilliant idea to do some of the HTTP Disk development on a Rocket in RocketShare. Aside from the frustrating host system instability when using RocketShare, there's also no network interface. I've tried both an Asante and a Dayna SCSI<->Ethernet adapter with a SCSI-2 Booster on the Rocket, and all I get are hangs when booting the Rocket in RocketShare (and when removed, discovering the failed boot had corrupted the RocketShare disk).

Is there any way to get an IP network interface in a RocketShare environment?
Complexhvac

Re: Networking with RocketShare
Posted: Dec 5, 2013 9:41 PM   in response to: bbraun in response to: bbraun
Hello bbraun,

I was compelled to respond to your posting regarding the RocketShare Networking dilemma. Firstly, I would like to say Thank You for sharing all of your expert projects relating to the 68k Macintosh platform, I have learned much by implementing many of them from your synack.net Web Site! I have been a 68k Mac Fan for quite some time, and I must say, things were never this interesting back in the day, some twenty-five years ago! Kudos to you & all the current Members of the 68k Forums.

I recall from past posts, that you have acquired one of the Shiva FastPath 5 devices, which in turn, is the only stable Internet accessible route that has worked for me, when the Rocket was installed inside a Mac IIci. This configuration has been extremely stable using the MacTCP IP Control Panel, Version 2.1, when operating with System 7.1, installed for all Macintoshes. As you are well aware, the Network Control Panel that is installed with RocketShare, defaults to LocalTalk, using the printer port only. I have tried many times with Ethernet Configured Software with very poor, erratic results. After a long period of that, I just gave up!

Surprisingly, many Applications that access the Internet using a Static IP Address, work flawlessly when being routed through the FastPath 5. Thanks also goes out to NJRoadfan, for his help in configuring the FastPath Routing Software. Applications such as Telnet, Fetch, Gopher, Samba, Pop Mail II, Netscape Navigator & Timbuktu 3.0 VNC & Networking Software, render quite quickly! As you are well aware, Thread Manager is not compatible with the RadiusRocket, it crashes immediately. If you're interested in knowing the total configuration of the Mac IIci, I have System 7.6 booting the Computer from a SCSI 7200 rpm IBM Server Hard Drive with an Asante' Ethernet Nubus Card installed, running DHCP with Open Transport 3.1, which runs very well. Both Operating Systems function simultaneously & flawlessly when configured independently.

For what it's worth, I have an 8 MB ROM SIMM configured with the Software that you & Doug masterminded just recently, these are no longer our fathers computers of yesteryear, quite awesome indeed! Without all of your help, this would not be possible! Things would really be over the top, if we could get the DayStar 040 Accelerator to function with the 8 MB ROM SIMM RamDisk Software, WOW, Dad would turn over in his grave!

Many Thanks,

Michael

Complexhvac

Message was edited by: Complexhvac

bbraun

Re: Networking with RocketShare
Posted: Dec 11, 2013 3:27 PM   in response to: Complexhvac in response to: Complexhvac
Thanks! Yeah, I know rocketshare is supposed to support appletalk, but I've never actually gotten that working. I ended up abandoning rocketshare, mainly because I wanted to use it as a development environment, but it just didn't seem sufficiently stable to me. When I'm breaking the system with my own bugs, I didn't want to spend my time figuring out if any given problem was mine or rocketshare's.

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums