Mac68k Forums

Home

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Mac68k Forums » Help » Software Help

Thread: RocketWare & RocketShare Shenanigans

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Apr 14, 2013 2:15 PM Last Post By: Trash80toHP_Mini Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Trash80toHP_Mini

RocketWare & RocketShare Shenanigans
Posted: Apr 9, 2013 10:56 PM
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Well, I finally got the Rocket to work in the IIsi and now I'm looking to play around with it some more.

How many versions of RocketWare are there are there out there? I've got 1.3.2 from 1991-92 that shipped with my Rocket33 and an updated version from 1993, whose rev escapes me ATM.

How many versions of RocketShare are there out there. I've only got the initial 1.0 release, but now that that's up and running, so it's playtime.

Who else has been playing with the Rocket and how can we get more software tested thoroughly on some more machines. Info on the Rocket and its Software Environments are a bit sparse over at the 68kMLA, I tried to get a troubleshooting thread going there a while back, no go, maybe this is a better venue for such pursuits.

Message was edited by: Trash80toHP_Mini
bbraun

Re: RocketWare & RocketShare Shenanigans
Posted: Apr 10, 2013 11:41 AM   in response to: Trash80toHP_Mini in response to: Trash80toHP_Mini
Maybe a chart of radius software versions, os versions, machines it works on, and what features are available in that config?
Trash80toHP_Mini

Posted: Apr 10, 2013 3:53 PM   in response to: bbraun in response to: bbraun
That sounds like a plan.

I've got the manuals and setup materials for the three examples I bought back in the day. Is there a repository for manual scans anywhere handy? Does anyone have any more of the manuals?

bbraun

Posted: Apr 10, 2013 11:48 PM   in response to: Trash80toHP_Mini in response to: Trash80toHP_Mini
I'm about neck deep in other projects right now, but I started this wiki page just to get things rolling:
https://mac68k.info/wiki/display/mac68k/Radius+Rocket+Configurations
Anyone with a forum account can edit it, add table entries (it's all WYSIWYG, it should be waaaay easier to use than some others), etc.

It's probably also a good place to attach docs. You should be able to upload files to the wiki page.
Trash80toHP_Mini

Posted: Apr 11, 2013 6:49 AM   in response to: bbraun in response to: bbraun
Nice WiKi, thanks, interesting first entries. RocketShare comes with a copy of 7.0.1 that's installed on "My First Rocket Disk." You've noted 7.1 as running on the Rocket under 1.3.1. Is that the standard OS that shipped with RocketShare on the media or did you upgrade it to 7.1?

7.1 was the first commercial (paid for) O.S. while 7.0.1 was free for use and distribution, curious.
Trash80toHP_Mini

Posted: Apr 14, 2013 2:11 PM   in response to: bbraun in response to: bbraun
I'm not trying to get you nose deep or anything, but I've been playing a bit more and I thought I'd throw these thoughts out there:

Maybe we'll need to expand upon the factors included in the chart for RocketWare:

RocketWare Version
Rocket Cargo Version
Rocket Control Panel Version

I tried another variation on my successful "install Rocket in a compatible machine; then move HDD & Rocket to the IIsi" approach.

I couldn't get it to work this time, but I got partway there!

TRIALS:

Install RocketWare 1.3.2 on IIsi: Incompatibility Notification: a future version of RocketWare may support IIsi . . . (not a direct quote)
Install RocketWare 1.5 on IIsi: Incompatibility Notification
Install RocketWare 1.3.2 on IIfx: Incompatibility Notification

Install RocketWare 1.5 on IIfx: Successful on first go round, that is: ISTR the IIfx booting into RocketWare, but . . .
__ when I set it up again after testing in the IIsi, the screen blanked and the IIfx emigrated to La La Land after the "Whoosh/Reboot Screen"

When tested on the IIsi, RocketWare 1.5 got part of the way there . . .
__ IIsi emigrated to La La Land after "Whoosh/Reboot Screen" which remained up on monitor . . .
__ very cool, BTW, I think this was the first time I've ever seen this screen in color! =8-D

I think it's time to acquire a IIcx for further experimentation, I've never had one and a comrade gave me a pair of toys for the IIcx.

Specifically, I'd like to try the 1.3.2 install on IIcx/move to IIsi experiment. I'd also like to see if RocketWare 1.5 paired with combinations of the earlier Control Panel and Rocket Cargo versions might work.

For RocketWare 1.5 get info on Rocket Cargo revealed:

Rocket Cargo: RocketShare v1.0F1

curiouser and curiouser . . .

edit: ditto, I think my standard elliptical approach to posting comments out the TXT?

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums