Mac68k Forums

Home

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Mac68k Forums » Development » Hardware Hacking

Thread: PPC SE/30 (DayStar Turbo 601)

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Jan 19, 2014 6:33 PM Last Post By: tt Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
tt

PPC SE/30 (DayStar Turbo 601)
Posted: Jan 18, 2014 4:46 PM
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
The previous thread about overclocking the SE/30 reminded me of the Turbo 601. I thought I would ask here to see if anyone had and suggestions.

So far I tried it two different ways to use the Turbo 601 in an SE/30 with a IIfx ROM. One way was using the Daystar PowerCache IIsi adapter. The other way was plugging a IIvx adapter into the CPU socket and soldering a new power connector (temporarily) to the back side of the motherboard since the IIvx adapter got in the way. I thought maybe the direct socket plug-in would be the cleanest point of installation.

I heard the Power Mac chime which was exciting, but the screen was just black and I could not tell if anything was happening.

Some other info:

"I know someone who had it working just as a proof of concept, but I can't remember who it was, and I'm reasonably sure he didn't put the case back on, which alleviated cooling problems for the short time he did it." - The Pickle

"The highly desirable Turbo 601 was a PowerPC 601-based upgrade for most of the same models as the PowerCache and Turbo 040, but the LC series, and Macintosh II and IIx can almost certainly not use the Turbo 601. I've seen one vague report of the Turbo 601 working in an SE/30, but third-party testing has been unable to replicate this success. Both 66 and 100MHz versions were made, all with 128K of L2 cache onboard. Most commonly seen as a IIci or IIvx/Performa 600 upgrade." -Source
bbraun

Re: PPC SE/30 (DayStar Turbo 601)
Posted: Jan 18, 2014 8:10 PM   in response to: tt in response to: tt
Yeah, I've seen mention of that before. I've got a Turbo601, and poked at it in a P600, but the Turbo601 has its own ROM, similar to the 601 upgrade Apple offered for the 040 PDS slot. The Turbo601's ROM has no support for the SE/30 (or even any GLU based machines, IIRC), so I'd be surprised if someone ever had it actually booting. It's possible an early revision's ROM still had support for more machines, but I'm a bit skeptical.
tt

Posted: Jan 19, 2014 3:26 AM   in response to: bbraun in response to: bbraun
That's good info. I was always a bit skeptical since no one has really confirmed it outside of those reports, but hearing the boot chime gave me some hope. So like you mentioned, it could be an early ROM version, which I guess is plausible, like they left some more experimental/unpublished capability and then ditched it later. Is there a listing of known ROM versions?
bbraun

Posted: Jan 19, 2014 3:24 PM   in response to: tt in response to: tt
I'm not aware of anyone having inventoried Turbo601 ROM revisions.
tt

Posted: Jan 19, 2014 6:33 PM   in response to: bbraun in response to: bbraun
Yeah, Artmix had a nice Turbo 040 summary. Here's what I have been able to find so far ( From ):

There is a trick in the Turbo 601 control panel that lets you get information about your board. Hold down Command-Control, and click on the Turbo 601 logo.

ROM Family: $77D
ROM Checksum: $7C4F0317
ROM Version: 2.5f2
Patch ROM Version: 1.1

The Turbo 601 contains a Patch ROM. The first time a user boots up with v1.1 of the Turbo 601 control panel installed, for example, it will {update the patch ROM}.

{This} Turbo 601 was modified {by Daystar ??} to fix the 256 colours problem and {the} board now returns the following data:

ROM Family: $770
ROM Checksum: $7B34B470
ROM Version: 2.5f2
Patch ROM Version: 1.2d4

bbraun, when you looked at the ROM, did you also look at the patch ROM?

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums