Mac68k Forums

Home

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Mac68k Forums » Help » Hardware Help

Thread: Troubleshooting Turbo 040 + IIsi Adapter in SE/30

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 18 - Pages: 2 [ Previous | 1 2 ] - Last Post: Mar 30, 2015 4:46 PM Last Post By: nickpunt Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
tt

Re: Troubleshooting Turbo 040 + IIsi Adapter in SE/30
Posted: Mar 12, 2014 1:45 PM   in response to: 0ff in response to: 0ff
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
From artmix.com, but the page is gone now. I updated the wiki to include the info.
Complexhvac

Posted: Mar 12, 2014 6:19 PM   in response to: tt in response to: tt
Hi Gents,

Sorry for the delay, here is the Link to the PRAM Auto-Restore Control Panel for your perusal!

http://macgui.net/downloads/?file_id=23225
0ff

Posted: Dec 21, 2014 4:32 PM   in response to: Complexhvac in response to: Complexhvac
Okay everybody, I have awesome news :)
While it took me like forever to get all the bits together (ordered the wrong adapter for my programmer, didn't notice, ordered the flash chips twice, work, stuff) I can now report that Version 4.11 will boot with certain limitations!

I want to thank you all for the input, I wouldn't have guessed that an update could actually solve this!

Okay so what limitations then?
Well, at first the Turbo 040 is seemingly incompatible with bbrauns ROMDisk. This is very unfortunate and maybe I can help troubleshoot that (because the plain IIsi/IIfx ROMs work just fine with the Turbo). So this is inconvenient, but can be worked around (i.e. using the original ROMs).

But there is a second thing that is really annoying: The Turbo would completely fail to boot if I install any more than 8MB RAM.
This is happening with each and every ROM I tried (SE/30 Stock, IIsi, IIfx) - while the machine would boot up fine without the Turbo, installing it would always lead to the image seen in my starting post. What's interesting here is that the Turbo seems to somehow do it's own RAM verification - because if I run a stock ROM with 8MB of RAM, I can see this weird pattern for ~9s before it disappears (that's what other also describe when running the SE/30 with an IIsi/IIfx ROM).
Now when I install the Turbo, instead of speeding this check up (which is what I had guessed), it would now take ~18s for the same amount of RAM, i.e. it seems to be checking the RAM twice for whatever reason?

Does anyone have any idea how to troubleshoot that?
I already tried many different memory configurations (according to the specs, in reverse, only 1 bank) but as soon as I hit 8mb, it wouldn't work with the Turbo.

Thanks in advance again for your valuable feedback!
nickpunt

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 4:46 PM   in response to: 0ff in response to: 0ff
Hey 0ff, I remember seeing this particular card on ebay in jan 2014. The listing said:

"NOTE: This is a RETURN stated did NOT work on Maintosh SE/30 (requires an adapter). Don't know if the cache board is OK. It is sold AS-IS as a collectible (or repair?) at a much lower price."

I think I saved it in evernote as well, but the link (still active as of 3/30/15) is here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-Daystar-40-Mhz-Turbo-040-Board-W-Cache-for-Macintosh-SE-30-II-Line-/380825124577

One possibility is the previous owner had plugged the card directly into the se/30 pds, which may have partially fried it. The seller (http://www.ebay.com/usr/vswmoretp) knew it required an adapter but perhaps the previous buyer who returned it didn't. Just a guess! Sorry it's not running well. I see there's another on ebay right now that has proof of it working, maybe give that a shot if you're set on one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macintosh-Daystar-Turbo-040-With-Cache-Card-40mhz-version-For-IIci-IIcx-/161651858453

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums