Mac68k Forums

Home

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Mac68k Forums » Development » Software Hacking

Thread: MacMinix - MINIX 1.5 source for Apple's 68k Macs

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Mar 18, 2015 8:02 PM Last Post By: macminix Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
macminix

MacMinix - MINIX 1.5 source for Apple's 68k Macs
Posted: Aug 8, 2014 5:23 PM
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I spent some time recently playing with an old PowerBook 150, my daily routine involves working on Unix-like systems. I remembered that Prentice Hall had worked on a 68k MINIX 1.5 port in the 90's, sadly only the Amiga Atari really saw continued community/developer interest and there was no public 1.6 or 2.0 port.

It is perhaps a novelty, but, many Apple models lack sufficient RAM to boot or run NetBSD or Linux, so this is an interesting hobby project to attempt to revive, perhaps for learning the Motorola 68k ISA or to explore the classic MacOS environment. The MacMinix kernel cooperates in such a way that allows for examining the system with a conventional set of Unix utilities.

The greatest challenge was obtaining the source code, this was contained inside a Minix filesystem image. So, I put on my digital archaeologist cap and attempted to recover it.

So, here is the complete source code for MacMinix 1.5.10.7 on GitHub! Also included is some associated documentation and patches previously contributed by volunteers over the years, originally hosted by Brad Pliner.

https://github.com/macminix/MacMinix

Enjoy!
bbraun

Re: MacMinix - MINIX 1.5 source for Apple's 68k Macs
Posted: Aug 8, 2014 6:49 PM   in response to: macminix in response to: macminix
Neat. I'm traveling right now so can't poke at it much, but have you tried building it?
macminix

Posted: Aug 8, 2014 7:18 PM   in response to: bbraun in response to: bbraun
It builds on the Minix system itself, I tried to verify the archives were identical when transferring them off the system. I used tar inside the Minix environment to attempt to preserve as much as possible.

There is at least some indication that there is binary compatibility between the Mac and Atari ports of Minix, one project that is working on a modern GNU based cross-compiler setup. That would be really great to adapt to MacMinix.

A future goal would be to synchronize the MacMinix port with the Atari* 1.6 port. I mistakenly said Amiga above.

http://www.beastielabs.net/minix/
http://www.beastielabs.net/prerel.html

Message was edited by: macminix
eschaton

Posted: Feb 17, 2015 3:25 PM   in response to: macminix in response to: macminix
Glad to see it includes my 68040 cache-flush patch!

I believe a StuffIt! file containing a full distribution of MacMinix 1.5.10 was made available by Prentice-Hall around when Minix went Open Source, from which you could extract pristine sources including proper date stamps. It might be worthwhile to do that, and then apply patches like the 68040 cache flush and SCSI support as individual change sets atop them, rather than just put the current state of your system's sources into a repository. :)
macminix

Posted: Mar 18, 2015 7:47 PM   in response to: eschaton in response to: eschaton
I hadn't seen your reply eschaton, unfortunately the only available binary distribution does not contain an archive of the sources decoupled from the Minix filesystem disk images. I didn't attempt to carefully preserve the timestamps because they appeared to be dated June 2006, perhaps munged when patches were applied.

Glad to see you're okay with the distribution of your patches, I don't own a 040 so I haven't been able to test.

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums