Mac68k Forums

Home

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Mac68k Forums » Development » Software Hacking

Thread: NCSA Mosaic Source Code

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Oct 9, 2015 8:45 PM Last Post By: superpete Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
superpete

NCSA Mosaic Source Code
Posted: Sep 23, 2015 11:45 PM
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Was wondering if anyone around here has the Macintosh source code for Mosaic laying around somewhere? It looks like it was only ever made available on request, so I haven't been able to find any copies laying about (though the xwindows version is readily available). I've e-mailed NCSA so hopefully someone there might be able to grant the request; but just in case I thought I'd ask here.

Cheers

Peter
bbraun

Re: NCSA Mosaic Source Code
Posted: Sep 24, 2015 3:47 PM   in response to: superpete in response to: superpete
I just had a look around my archive of mac stuff, but didn't find it. Sorry about that.
superpete

Posted: Sep 28, 2015 9:35 PM   in response to: bbraun in response to: bbraun
No worries. Thanks for checking. I'll check-in with the NCSA guys again. I'm surprised they didn't release it for the 20th aniversary.
techknight

Posted: Oct 4, 2015 9:19 PM   in response to: superpete in response to: superpete
what would be cool is recompiling NCSA Mosaic with a modern webkit/gecko engine.
superpete

Posted: Oct 4, 2015 9:24 PM   in response to: techknight in response to: techknight
I did find a Firefox theme that turns it into the Win16 Mosaic.

From my perspective it'd be great to hack on the old MacMosaic code and add some basic Unicode and SSL support, get it to ignore script tags and a few other bits and pieces. To my knowledge the code of old Netscape releases was never released, the the Mozilla source dumps didn't build on 68k. So recovering te old Mosaic code might be the best bet in getting a slightly more up to date Mac browser going with minimal effort.
superpete

Posted: Oct 9, 2015 8:45 PM   in response to: superpete in response to: superpete
FYI cross posted this to 68KMLA.

Not much luck yet, I've been contacting the dev's but it's looking like a lost cause.

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums