Mac68k Forums

Home

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Mac68k Forums » Help » Hardware Help

Thread: Model Number Command Response for Macintosh Plus keyboard

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Dec 10, 2015 2:55 PM Last Post By: bigmessowires Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
bigmessowires

Model Number Command Response for Macintosh Plus keyboard
Posted: Dec 3, 2015 1:55 PM
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi, does anyone happen to know what response a Macintosh Plus keyboard (M0110A) sends in response to a "model number" command? According to Inside Mac, it should be something like:

Model Number $16
Keyboard response
Bit 0: 1
Bits 1-3: keyboard model number, 1-8
Bits 4-6: next device number, 1-8
Bit 7: 1 if another device connected

I'm working again on the Mac-in-an-FPGA core for the MiST board, and trying to get the keyboard behavior right.

Edit: my current method of testing is to try different values, then open the Keyboard DA and see what image of a keyboard is displayed. So far no matter what values I've tried, it always shows an image of the old M0110 keyboard without the built-in keypad that's present on the Mac Plus keyboard.

Message was edited by: bigmessowires
bbraun

Re: Model Number Command Response for Macintosh Plus keyboard
Posted: Dec 4, 2015 3:37 PM   in response to: bigmessowires in response to: bigmessowires
I don't recall offhand, and unfortunately I'm about to leave for a work trip. I can hook up the logic analyzer to the keyboard when I get back in a week or so and check then.

From what I do recall, it reported as an M0110 with the optional keypad attached. That's how it'd return keycodes as well.
Arbee

Posted: Dec 6, 2015 5:32 PM   in response to: bbraun in response to: bbraun
AFAIK the Mac Plus keyboard is indistinguishable by software from an original with the sidecar numeric keypad.
bigmessowires

Posted: Dec 10, 2015 2:55 PM   in response to: Arbee in response to: Arbee
I think Arbee is right. No matter what values I tried, the picture in the Keycaps never changed. I ended up going with an ID value of 3, which I think is also what bbraun uses for his PS2/USB keyboard adapter.

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums