Mac68k Forums

Home

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Mac68k Forums » Development » Hardware Hacking

Thread: SE/30 video ROM?

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Jun 3, 2016 7:03 PM Last Post By: bigmessowires Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
bigmessowires

SE/30 video ROM?
Posted: May 16, 2016 6:33 PM
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Are there multiple different versions of the SE/30's video ROM? I'm trying to get SE/30 emulation working with MESS, and encountering weird video problems.

MESS is looking for an 8KB file named se30vrom.uk6. I found the file, and MESS boots with it without complaint, but the video is screwed up. It looks like it's putting out a 476 x 342 image instead of 512 x 342. Everything looks squished horizontally, with scaling artifacts visible in the 50% gray desktop background.

There's a different SE/30 video rom on bbraun's web site: http://www.synack.net/~bbraun/roms/ But this one is 32K and makes MESS complain about a bad rom checksum. If I ignore the error and run it anyway, MESS only shows a blank screen.
Arbee

Re: SE/30 video ROM?
Posted: May 24, 2016 9:15 AM   in response to: bigmessowires in response to: bigmessowires
If it's not complaining, the ROM is almost certainly correct. It's very hard to forge both the CRC32 and SHA1 at the same time, and we check both.

What version of MESS are you running? SE/30 runs fine for me from Github top-of-tree, so it should be OK in MAME 0.173 as well (MESS was folded into MAME about a year ago).
bigmessowires

Posted: May 31, 2016 6:33 PM   in response to: Arbee in response to: Arbee
I'm running MESS 0.172, compiled from the source code, and running on Windows 7. If I do:

mess64.exe -skip_gameinfo -window -resolution 512x384 macse30

then I get a weirdly sized and stretched window. I found a work-around by doing:

mess64.exe -skip_gameinfo -window -resolution 512x384 -unevenstretchx macse30

which results in some letter-boxing of the Mac's video content within the window, but the content itself appears sized and scaled correctly.

Message was edited by: bigmessowires
Arbee

Posted: Jun 3, 2016 9:27 AM   in response to: bigmessowires in response to: bigmessowires
Oh.

1) -resolution is broken in 0.172/0.173/0.174. It's fixed in current Github.
2) -window -nomaximize will give a 512x384 content-area window. We know what resolution the Mac is outputting, you don't need to tell us :)

Message was edited by: Arbee
bigmessowires

Posted: Jun 3, 2016 7:03 PM   in response to: Arbee in response to: Arbee
Awesome, thanks. I didn't know about the -nomaximize option.

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums