Mac68k Forums

Home

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Mac68k Forums » Development » Software Hacking

Thread: ROMs

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 1 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Aug 13, 2016 6:29 PM Last Post By: bbraun Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
aaron

ROMs
Posted: Aug 13, 2016 11:00 AM
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Howdy,

I was using radare2 to look at the Mac 128k ROM from here (https://archive.org/details/mac_rom_archive_-_as_of_8-19-2011) - checksum 28ba61ce, just to get an idea how it works on the inside.

The one that is labeled as 128K, though, seems to use the Mac 512k memory map - 0x7fd00 for the sound buffer (see the instruction at offset 0x1f8) - rather than the 128K memory map - 0x1fd00 for the sound buffer. (Similarly, at offset 0x102, the ROM is using 0x7a700 for the video buffer instead of 0x1a700.) Is it really a 512k ROM and not the 128k? Or is it designed to work on both? I've seen the same ROM checksum labeled in a couple different ways. I was expecting it to match the memory map info for the 128k that is visible here: http://www.osdata.com/system/physical/memmap.htm#MacPlus

Any suggestions to make sure I'm looking at the right resources are greatly appreciated.

Aaron
bbraun

Re: ROMs
Posted: Aug 13, 2016 6:29 PM   in response to: aaron in response to: aaron
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
The sound and video buffers aren't really part of the machine's physical memory map, but are software constructs used by the ROM and system software. Those buffers are relative to the top of RAM, which is why in the chart you linked, it is in different locations even on the Plus with different amounts of physical RAM. The ROM isn't hard coding the location, rather it has determined the size of physical memory and placed the buffer at the appropriate location.

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums